Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Cycling Journal - 8/15/05

2:45 PM - Geneva
Well it's taken a little bit but I'm going. My bike is assembled, the tires inflated, and I had some lunch (baguette avec jambon). Next goal is to get a train ticket.
Parts of Geneva are very pretty; I just finished eating lunch on the lake. I also rode by the UN and quite a bit of parkland. In between though (where on train station is) is not so pretty.
I managed to speak French well enough to a couple people so that when I completely fail to understand a question (do you have ten cents?) they get confused. Mostly though, I've been a stammering idiot. I've already been spontaneously helped by two people though, including a cyclist I rode with for a couple km. He spoke English so we chatted while we rode. All in all, not so bad, as long as I can find my way to Grenoble tonight.




6:30 PM - Lyon
I'm on a train, just leaving Lyon. I could have taken a later one that took less time, but I don't mind seeing more. I'm supposed to get in a little before eight. If all goes well that will give me time to have dinner and find a campsite. It's a holiday today in France so I don't know if that will make a difference. The train was very easy, just carried my bike right on.
I've been studying some French on the train but I don't think it'll do too much good. Maybe in ten days...

10:15 PM - Grenoble
Well it was bumpy at times, but the first day has to be considered a success. I found (after some wandering) the campground in a town near Grenoble, and with help from my neighbors from Australia I tracked down pizza for dinner.
It's amazing actually; in just a day I pumped into four really friendly people. This despite hardly talking to anyone (though if I tried to talk to more the percentage would probably go down). Sometimes today I had trouble because I didn't know how to do the things I wanted. Still, I feel good about this trip because of the people I've already met. I'm traveling alone, and that's hard for me, but most of the time I'm not really alone.
Tomorrow is L'Alpe D'Huez. Hopefully my good luck continues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home