Thursday, November 30, 2006

Cycling Journal - 8/16/05



Bourg d'Oisans
I don't know how much I'll write here, since my hands hurt quite a bit. Most of the sixty km or so from Grenoble was on a busy road, and steering a loaded bike takes some effort.
It took me a little while to find the right way out of Grenoble, and then it was easy going for a bit. I stopped at the Chateau in Vizelle, the "birthplace of the revolution". Just like my book said, the grounds were stunning. I had some bread and yogurt there. The rest of the ride, except the very end, was uphill. It was tough going, and extremely hot. Now that I'm sitting at a table with an umbrella (as well as a Coke and a sandwich avec jambon et beurre) I think it's an amazingly beautiful day. The scenery here is certainly striking. I can barely imagine the view from Alpe d'Huez.
I'm going to finish lunch, maybe buy a couple souvenirs, and then try the climb. Maarten said I can't let my feet touch the ground.

10:40 PM Bourg d'Oisans
Another reasonably successful, but long, day. I made it up Alpe d'Huez, but certainly not without stopping. It took a lot longer than I expected, also. It was so steep, especially at the start, and I was never comfortable. But I made it!
I managed to find a restaurant that was still open when I got back, and I even made it through the whole meal without a word of English. No such luck at the hotel though - I started in French but she switched.
I haven't decided where to go tomorrow. I didn't even have panniers for Alpe d'Huez, and it was still nearly impossible. Col du Galibier is a similar climb over a longer distance though. Maybe I can do it. We'll see how I feel in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home