Cycling Journal - 8/18/05
10:15 AM St Jean de Maurienne
I've hit my first bit of bad weather. I managed to leave Valloire pretty early (8:30 AM after a pain du chocolat) but shortly afterwards it started to rain. I made it the thirty or so kilometers here without getting too wet and I think my stuff is ok.
I'm going to hang out here for a bit, and then go for the last col of my trip. It's a little over two thousand meters, and I'm around six hundred right now. That doesn't sound too bad, does it? If I can make it by three or four in the afternoon, I should be able to cruise the last seventy-five km, nearly all downhill, to Grenoble by evening.
I can't wait to be on a train to Provence. Good weather and flat land sounds spectacular right now.
8:40 PM St Sorlin D'Arves
What a day. I am crushed. Right after I left St Jean de Maurienne, I was put on a detour over the Col du Mollard. That turned out to be a climb to over 1600 m, and I didn't have the energy for it. Finally, I reached the top, and coasted towards my destination. It was clear I wasn't going to make it over Croix de Fer.
As I got into St Sorlin, I found out that there was some sort of mountain bike festival. Also, there is no campground, but I did manage to find a hotel. I got a nice take home dinner from a shop in town, and now I'm finally relaxing in my room. On the way back I heard some English, and chatted with a girl from Marin County running a mountain bike tour. It was nice to chat with someone; they're having dinner downstairs but I'm just too tired. Maybe breakfast tomorrow.
I've hit my first bit of bad weather. I managed to leave Valloire pretty early (8:30 AM after a pain du chocolat) but shortly afterwards it started to rain. I made it the thirty or so kilometers here without getting too wet and I think my stuff is ok.
I'm going to hang out here for a bit, and then go for the last col of my trip. It's a little over two thousand meters, and I'm around six hundred right now. That doesn't sound too bad, does it? If I can make it by three or four in the afternoon, I should be able to cruise the last seventy-five km, nearly all downhill, to Grenoble by evening.
I can't wait to be on a train to Provence. Good weather and flat land sounds spectacular right now.
8:40 PM St Sorlin D'Arves
What a day. I am crushed. Right after I left St Jean de Maurienne, I was put on a detour over the Col du Mollard. That turned out to be a climb to over 1600 m, and I didn't have the energy for it. Finally, I reached the top, and coasted towards my destination. It was clear I wasn't going to make it over Croix de Fer.
As I got into St Sorlin, I found out that there was some sort of mountain bike festival. Also, there is no campground, but I did manage to find a hotel. I got a nice take home dinner from a shop in town, and now I'm finally relaxing in my room. On the way back I heard some English, and chatted with a girl from Marin County running a mountain bike tour. It was nice to chat with someone; they're having dinner downstairs but I'm just too tired. Maybe breakfast tomorrow.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home