Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Cycling Journal - 8/22/05

12:20 AM Sausset-les-Pins
Another big day. I won't write too much since it's late. I ended up riding one hundred kilometers today in order to reach Elise's gradparents (after a rather crooked path). They were very nice, and they seem to have put me up in a very nice hotel. I could also buy wifi access, so I talked to Elise and my parents, posted some pictures online, and now I'm watching the Sox.

I think it's time to take it easy, and make my way to Marseille tomorrow with some time spent at the beach. Then Tuesday I need to head toward Paris and start my trip home.

Ooh, Renteria hit a three run homer to break a scoreless tie in the eighth. It's a good day.

10:00 AM
I slept late! I just had breakfast, and I have a couple hours before checkout. I'd like just to linger here. I think I'll stay around town a little, and then make my way along the coast until I find a decent campground. I don't actually see any reason to go into Marseille.

Tomorrow I'll have to find a train from Marseille to somewhere near Paris. Then it's time to box my bike up for good and head back to Amsterdam. It's certainly been a fun and interesting trip.

Now if I could just find a nice patch of beach and a campground. Oh, and I need to get some souvenirs! I've never been very good at that. Especially now when I have to carry everything I buy.

1:30 PM
I'm still at Elise's grandparents. I checked out of the hotel and came over for my bike, but together we decided for me to stay another day in Sausset. Tomorrow morning I'll ride to Marseille and take the train to Paris. It's only about thirty kilometers.

The sun seems to be out so soon I'll go for another walk, maybe farther this time. I can stop by the Post Office and call Elise also.

4:00 PM
I'm sitting on a beach on the Mediterranean. Today is a relaxing day, I'm not really doing anything. I don't think I'll get on the bike at all today either (which is good since I think I have saddle sores).

It's turned into another beautiful (although windy) day. I wish I had Elise here to share it with me. Espeially since then I wouldn't open the door to a bathroom and startle whoever was inside. But also because it would be so nice to relax on the beach, just talking (in English please) and enjoying the atmosphere.

I'm a little worried about getting from Marseille to Paris with my bike (and then finding a place for it overnight) but hopefully it will work out. I'm not sure if I'll continue my walk or try to find a place to lay down on the beach. The topless girls are somewhat disconcerting (although the attractive ones seem less likely to be topless). I'll manage either way I suppose.

10:00 PM
This might be my last entry from here. Tomorrow morning I'll find out about the train and then head to Marseille on my bike. It looks like a nice ride, and hopefully I'll still have a tailwind.

It's been a nice time here. The language has been restrictive to all of us at times, but we've managed, and I'm starting to understand more (though probably not speak much better). But the friendliness of Elise's family, and really everyone I've met here, has been outstanding. It seems that perhaps French institutions are geared against Americans (or American customs) but I find no animosity (and instead great kindness) between French people and myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home