Cycling Journal - 8/23/05
My trip is mostly travel now. This train to Paris, then a train to Amsterdam, then a flight to Boston, somehow to New York, a train to Philadelphia, and a flight to Santa Barbara.
I'm looking forward to being in Amsterdam again. Elise said my pictures were very nice and I agree. I think I'll have a fun time showing them to people and telling my stories.
I also think I'll miss the people in Amsterdam quite a bit. I've gotten used to being around Maarten again and it's too bad I won't see Bram. I miss the people in Santa Barbara too though. It's tough having friends all over (although it's nice to always have a place to stay).
I wonder what I'll do in Paris tonight. Hopefully find a decent hotel, maybe a cafe nearby, and just sit.
Right now my bike is in pieces in a bag, if I have to go far I'll need to put it together again. I wouldn't mind leaving it there for quite some time, actually.
8/24/05 2:00 AM Paris
Here is the end. I dragged my bike across Paris to the neighborhood I knew - where Maarten and I stayed. I got a hotel across the street, and I haven't left. I was thinking of seeing the Seine at night, but that will have to wait for another time. A lot of things will wait for another time, but that's okay. I've had a good trip.
10:05 AM Paris
I had the bright idea to grab some things from the boulanger and have breakfast on the Seine. So here I am. In a few minutes I'll walk over to Pont Neuf, over the river, and take the metro back to the hotel.
It's a nice day, I've had great weather for almost the entire trip. Hopefully I'll be as lucky next time.
2:30 PM Bruxelles
Aaah, first class. I was served lunch as the train left Paris, and I have power for my laptop, so I'm actually doing some work.
Two and a half hours left to Amsterdam, and then just a little more hauling of my stuff. My bike and my body are both in need of maintenance.
It's kind of amazing I made this trip as smoothly as I did. I had a lot of help of course, but it was interesting to be on my own in another country for 9 days.
Strangely, I have a little desire to get on my bike. It would have been nice to ride it unloaded around Paris. It will be nice to ride in familiar areas aggain too. It must be a disease.
8/25/05 3:30 PM (ET)
Only a few minutes left until we land. The flight actually went by as quickly as a seven hour flight can. Of course I'm looking forward to being on the ground.
It feels like forever that I've been gone, but at the same time I'm a little sad to leave everyone. It was such a great lab. Maarten is supposed to come to the Gordon Conference in Newport next summer, and Liselot might join him afterwards. There are a lot of other people I'd like to see again.
I wonder how this experience will change me. I've been so happy for so much of the time, I hope that sticks. I realized then that I was enjoying an incredible opportunity and any little setbacks were small compared to how great the trip was overall. I could easily apply this logic to my life back in America, too. We'll see.
[And thus concludes my trip to Europe. Maarten did visit last summer, but I haven't had the chance to go back in the last year. Still not sure what affect the trip had on me, other than babbling about it to everyone I know.]
I'm looking forward to being in Amsterdam again. Elise said my pictures were very nice and I agree. I think I'll have a fun time showing them to people and telling my stories.
I also think I'll miss the people in Amsterdam quite a bit. I've gotten used to being around Maarten again and it's too bad I won't see Bram. I miss the people in Santa Barbara too though. It's tough having friends all over (although it's nice to always have a place to stay).
I wonder what I'll do in Paris tonight. Hopefully find a decent hotel, maybe a cafe nearby, and just sit.
Right now my bike is in pieces in a bag, if I have to go far I'll need to put it together again. I wouldn't mind leaving it there for quite some time, actually.
8/24/05 2:00 AM Paris
Here is the end. I dragged my bike across Paris to the neighborhood I knew - where Maarten and I stayed. I got a hotel across the street, and I haven't left. I was thinking of seeing the Seine at night, but that will have to wait for another time. A lot of things will wait for another time, but that's okay. I've had a good trip.
10:05 AM Paris
I had the bright idea to grab some things from the boulanger and have breakfast on the Seine. So here I am. In a few minutes I'll walk over to Pont Neuf, over the river, and take the metro back to the hotel.
It's a nice day, I've had great weather for almost the entire trip. Hopefully I'll be as lucky next time.
2:30 PM Bruxelles
Aaah, first class. I was served lunch as the train left Paris, and I have power for my laptop, so I'm actually doing some work.
Two and a half hours left to Amsterdam, and then just a little more hauling of my stuff. My bike and my body are both in need of maintenance.
It's kind of amazing I made this trip as smoothly as I did. I had a lot of help of course, but it was interesting to be on my own in another country for 9 days.
Strangely, I have a little desire to get on my bike. It would have been nice to ride it unloaded around Paris. It will be nice to ride in familiar areas aggain too. It must be a disease.
8/25/05 3:30 PM (ET)
Only a few minutes left until we land. The flight actually went by as quickly as a seven hour flight can. Of course I'm looking forward to being on the ground.
It feels like forever that I've been gone, but at the same time I'm a little sad to leave everyone. It was such a great lab. Maarten is supposed to come to the Gordon Conference in Newport next summer, and Liselot might join him afterwards. There are a lot of other people I'd like to see again.
I wonder how this experience will change me. I've been so happy for so much of the time, I hope that sticks. I realized then that I was enjoying an incredible opportunity and any little setbacks were small compared to how great the trip was overall. I could easily apply this logic to my life back in America, too. We'll see.
[And thus concludes my trip to Europe. Maarten did visit last summer, but I haven't had the chance to go back in the last year. Still not sure what affect the trip had on me, other than babbling about it to everyone I know.]

2 Comments:
Dave is a sensorship loving communist
Only a capitalist pigdog like alan would misspell censorship.
Post a Comment
<< Home